background

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Butterflies!

We took a trip to the Butterfly Place out here!
This is an Owl Butterfly!

Yup! He is HOLDING a cockroach!

And him too!

A walk through trying to find the pretty blue one!







And here he is! This was my favorite one. So pretty! But did you know that butterflies only live for two weeks!?! This place orders 500 caterpillars already in their chrysalis every week!

How can he be afraid of the butterfly? But he didn't want to get too close!


Freshly "hatched" butterflies waiting for their wings to dry! Usually takes about a day before they fly off.


Look at all those just waiting to come out of their chrysalis. So many different kids too! Visiting this place was a lot of fun. The kids really enjoyed it! I enjoyed it too! It was neat to see so many different kinds of butterflies and if you stood still enough they would come and land on you. The person who worked there answered all of Jacob's questions and they learned a lot! I would recommend a visit if you are out this way!









3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was fun. Not sure how Jacob could be afraid of butterflies but not cockroaches. Yuck!

Chris

Reverend Joyleaf said...

Hey, that place looks cool. Is it bigger than the butterfly enclosure at the Calgary Zoo?

I didn't believe you about their lifespan and had to search Google.

"Monarch Butterflies normally live from 2-4 weeks. However, over wintering Monarch Butterflies can live up to 8 or 9 months!"

Guess that's an exception.

I wrote it before and I'll write it again. We need to hook up. Did you know we're in Hamilton?

Steve Jolliffe

Karri said...

Yes it is quite a bit bigger. I think the real name is called Wings of Paradise. Your kids would enjoy it!

I did know you were in Hamilton. I guess I should check my comment section more regularly.:) We should get together. Are you guys enjoying it out here?

Ya I was shocked when the person said two weeks for the butterlies to live...maybe she just meant the ones in the enclosure. I like the idea of them living longer two weeks is just too short!

Thanks for your comment!