background

Monday, August 18, 2008

Sarah 4 Months!












Today was a busy day for us. A little shopping, some lunch, a trip out to Cambridge to see the Nurse Practitioner for Sarah's immunization shots. Thank the Lord for the Navigation system, it has become my new best friend! Anyway, things are done quite differently out here. At least for me. Back home as some of you would know the health nurser would instruct you on the vaccines being given, provide you with lots of developmental, healthy teeth, and safety information for the age your child was. Then they make a plan of attack for giving of the needles. Well here, she asked me about breastfeeding, weighed and measured her of course but then just laid her down and gave her two shots, one in each leg. And that was that! No reading material at all but she did say no solids until 6 months. I should say that the nurse was quite friendly and nice, just so different from home.

Sarah was weighed and she weighs 12lbs and 8oz. She is 23 and 3/4inches long. They did not tell me her percentile, so I will have to look it up myself. She screamed pretty good, and no bell here to distract the baby either.

Some of you may find this interesting though. Those of you who know Sarah, also know that she has blocked tear ducts. Well the nurse noticed this as well and she did tell me to message the eyes and use the warm compress, but to also rub in some breast milk!!?! She said that is what they do in places where people have no medical care systems. Anyone heard that before?

I also promised pictures of the jungle.

Yesterday was a great day! I got to talk with some of my friends I have been missing. So good to catch up! I miss you all!

We are finally having some nice weather here in Ontario. As I am writing this Chris and the boys are in the pool having some fun! I wasn't sure how I felt about having the pool, but rain or shine my kids and sometimes Chris have been in the pool everyday!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have heard of the breast milk for blocked tear duct. Nice pool and backyard. Enjoy!
Char

Kirst said...

I've never heard of that before. Did you try it? We miss you too and can't wait to enjoy your pool with you.

Karri said...

I think I will try it. She sounded so confident, it can't hurt. This nurse practitioner was also educated with somekind of breastfeeding program. Very young but very nice

That pool looks nice, but the one filter is not working so it has been a lot of work. The jury is out on owning a pool until the hydro and electrical bill comes!! But I should say Chris and the boys love it!

Faye said...

I too have heard of using breast milk, it is because of the imunity factors in the milk.
we sure miss you. How far is toronto from KW?